Wednesday, June 30, 2010

No more "Bb, Bb!!"

Cali's "b, b", as she calls it, is no more! Wahoo!! I debated for a long time how I would go about taking this prized possession away, but knowing Cali I knew it had to be simple and logical. My first thought was to slowly snip away at them. After thinking it over, I figured Cali would just become mad at the ruined binky and want a new one. I also wanted to try the "fly away balloon trick", but again Cali would NOT be a happy camper. When we make trips to Harmons (a grocery store out here) they will give her a balloon at the check out station. She loves these balloons! Sadly, on one occasion, her balloon was let go and floated away. She was SOOOO sad! Instead this is what I did...

First, I waited until Casey left on a work trip so he wouldn't have to suffer (Sydney on the other hand was not so lucky):) Second, I started at bedtime. We went through our regular routine of books and a drink of milk. Once story time was over, I carried her over to the crib and asked her where her "bb" was. She looked around and I said, "it's gone, I can't find it!" All this time putting my hands in the air signaling "where did it go." She had a very concerned look on her face as we scoured her bed to find the bink. After about five minutes, I put her down to sleep and told her to hold her blanky (good thing she has some other source of security!!). She wasn't completely buying into not finding the binky. Over and over she would say, "bb, bb." I left the room and inevitably she started to cry. Surprisingly the crying only lasted for about 15 minutes and she was sound asleep for the night!

The next day was a challenge again because we had to attempt to take away the bink during nap time. We pretty much went through the same routine. Finishing with me closing her door and letting her cry for about 15 minutes. These crying episodes went on for three maybe four days, but finally she seemed to realized her "bb" was gone. We are now "bb" free and life is good! No more going into her room in the middle of the night because her binky has fallen out of her mouth.

One of her last times with the binky:)

7 comments:

chelsey said...

yay! what a milestone! hope your hanging in there with these last few weeks! and your house is amazing. i can't wait to see more pictures!

Sydney said...

Yippee!! Cali did much better than I had expected! Smarty pants (must learn from her favorite aunt hahah). I miss you guys already. I am going to have to send cali something in the mail so we can stay best friends!

Natalie said...

Wow! That is awesome! I am so not ready to take away Maddixs bink. Amy is going to be so jealous :)

cphillips1007 said...

Wow... so lucky. I tried the cutting the paci thing with him and he knew there were several other pacis that he could have so that didnt work. (haha he just asked me where his paci is) I was thinking about doing the balloon thing but still not sure. I was telling my husband last night that with him we are really just going to have to take it away and thats it. We are moving in August so we decided to let him get through that then we will try. It may be hard though since he is in a big boy bed now. I dont mind letting him cry but its the staying in bed thing im worried about. Wish us luck... hope he is as easy as Cali was.

Jordan & Brooke Brady said...

That's impressive. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with Wyatt. He knows he only gets it at night and at naps. He NEVER gets it during the day, but I know it will be hard for him. Wish us luck! I am going to wait a little while longer though because my sleep is precious to me right now and I know the binky helps him sleep longer.

Amber said...

I guess I've been lucky. None of my kids have cared about pacifiers. Brandon never even used one at all. Of course, I may be eating my words with this next one. We shall see.

But way to go! It's a tough thing to do, to take away something your child loves but doesn't need. I did have a hard time getting Ashlyn off a bottle. So I can still relate. I'm sure you're glad it's over.

Brit said...

Yay! Cali is such a doll. I miss you guys.
We are trying to stop the thumb sucking....any ideas?
I hope your feeling good. You are getting so close!