Friday, July 17, 2009

Why don't babies shiver when they're cold??

My sister Sydney was watching Cali for me this past weekend and discovered something new about her...she shivers now when she's cold. I had always wondered why she never shivered before, but always ignored the thought thinking it probably didn't matter. There has got to be something to this. Has anyone else noticed this with their babies??

This picture has no relevance to the post, but I hate posting without adding a picture so...

12 comments:

Stacy said...

that is weird, my babies shiver when they are cold :o)

Rach Williams said...

I have a couple medical reason for "perhaps" the answer to your question... Newborns appear to shiver all the time because their nervous systems are super immature. Babies also have a TON of brown fat (they lose it with age) that keeps them warm, so as they age the shivering is because of heat loss and not an immature nervous system. Bathe Cali in a super cold room and I promise you'll see her shiver. Haha. I hope you're doin' good. Only like another month and a half until I can hug you until your head pops off. Hahaha!

Natalie said...

I haven't ever noticed that! I will have to pay attention. And cali is just gorgeous! She looks just like you!

Natalie said...

I know, eric and I are both so paranoid about choking! I don't cook them longer, I just cut it up so small. He gums it up pretty well and chews on it for a while...
Good luck :)

Sydney said...

Oh course I have no idea about anything dealing with shivering... I was freaking out when Cali did that cause I had never seen her shiver before but I did want to say she looks so so so cute in that picture!!! I miss her so much!

Krystal said...

I have never noticed that before! It's cute though when they start to shiver :) And I love that picture of her- she really is SO BEAUTIFUL! I noticed that she looks so much like you in that picture! Gorgeous like her momma :)
OH, and thanks for your comment! I am a little over 4 months... so we get to find out what we are having pretty soon! I cannot wait!!!

Alex and Anna said...

oh my gosh she is sooo adorable!!

Mike and Lauren said...

I second Anna's comment...sooo adorable! And that's funny...I've never noticed, but now that I think about it I don't think I've ever seen Jack shiver either. Weird!

Kirsten and Steve said...

chelsea! I'm just catching up and I can't believe how adorable cali is!! Hope things are going well!

Chelsie Sanders said...

Don't know about the shivering, but the picture is adorable!

Kera said...

she is SOOOO cute.

Rach Williams said...

Craft club, for sure!! You never have to pay me for anything, I should have been making stuff for Cali forever ago. We will do so much of this stuff in the Fall. I gotta party hardy before I start school. Miss you guys!